Hawaii Teaching Jobs Are Highly in Demand

Vacations in paradise often end up to soon leaving you wanting for more and who wouldn’t right? Who doesn’t want to stay in a beautiful island surrounded by pristine white sand beaches where you can just take in its beauty and its surroundings each day? Who wouldn’t want beautiful sunsets or perhaps a moonlit walk by the ocean, hearing the waves crashing along the shore and the sweet-salty smell of the sea breeze? This is just a typical day in the beautiful islands of Hawaii.


It’s great isn’t it? If you have dreamed of living in this stunning place for real then you’re in luck. Hawaii teaching jobs are highly in demand these days.

Currently, the state government of Hawaii admitted to having shortages with their teachers. They are in dire need of over 1600 teachers for the coming school year starting this fall. They are looking for qualified teachers from the mainland and overseas as well who are willing to relocate in the island. As a additional incentive, the state is offering a $6000 bonus to teachers hired in secondary science, secondary mathematics and special education. The average teacher salary here is around $56000 a year. This is not so high as compared to other states but the incentive of living on the island is quite tempting. Wouldn’t it be nice to feel like on vacation everyday while making a living at the same time? Well, if you are mesmerized and want to move to Hawaii as a teacher, here are the things you need:

  • First, you need to have a Degree related to teaching. You also need to complete a State Approved Teacher Education Program (SATEP) from an accredited school in accordance to the Hawaii Teachers Standards Board. In cases where the degree was not taken in Hawaii, all you have to do is have SATEP accredit you.
  • You need to obtain a Hawaii teaching license which involves licensing examinations for the state. There are 3 different types of licenses, for beginners, they are given a 3-year license. Those who have experiences may be given a 5-year license wherein those who are highly experienced may be given an advanced 10-year license.
  • For foreign applicants, you will need to submit a foreign transcript provided by an approved transcript evaluation company. You may find the list at the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) website. This will need to be submitted together with a licensing application.
  • Candidates for licensure are also required by the Hawaii Teacher Standards Board (HTSB) to pass the Principles of Learning and Teaching Tests, the Hawaii Praxis I and other Praxis tests required in different teaching areas.


These requirements may seem difficult but in reality, they are very simple. These are the same requirements needed in all other US states and territories. And the process doesn’t take long either since the need is really high. Just comply with all the requirements and you’re all good to work in paradise.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *